Tuesday, October 18, 2005

TheHorrorTheHorror

The superintendent of our local school district gave the Lone Star Girl's whole school a pizza party last night for scoring in the exemplary range on their TAKS tests last year (this seems a little unfair to the other schools as they are all GT kids at her school and ought to be scoring high on a test designed to measure minimum standards, but oh, well). He gave them a pizza party at an establishment that is owned by a place we Gen Xers may remember as just a normal pizza parlor from our youth but which now has mutated into an over-stimulating palace of iniquity full of games, loud noises, unruly crowds and flashing lights. It was my first time at this place, which arrived somewhat recently in our community, although Lone Star Pa has taken the Lone Star Girl there a couple of times. Verdict? Even worse than the one with the giant rat.

The girls had a good time. The Lone Star Girl enjoys such establishments the way most children do once they are old enough to stop crying at the purple monster at the rat one, and she ran around with her little friends last night, relishing the melee. I fear the Lone Star Baby will like such places even more than the average kid does, though - she has such a high threshold for stimulation. She adored the place.

It did have that dance contest thingie, which is sort of neat, but the rest was just torture, in my opinion. It might have been okay if I could have just lied down on the floor and shut my eyes, I guess. Lone Star Pa doesn't mind such places - dads don't seem to as much in my experience - but all the other mothers and I spent the night wincing. Lone Star Pa had arrived with the girls at around 5pm and I had joined them at 6pm. By 8:30pm, they were still not ready to leave and I was saying things like Mommy could just lose it any minute now.

When we finally did leave, I had to go get myself an expensive pumpkin spice latte just to settle down.

5 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Well now, how convenient that I was able to bow out of one such pizza birthday party. Aiee. I mean, Aiee. I wonder what that pizza joint is to which you prefer, as I think I only know the one with the mouse that's supposed to be such a party place. Here's the thing: I keep hearing that parents don't like these kinds of places, and yet they bring their kids to them. Who's responsible for starting this snow-ball effect? Also, I have heard umpteen parents complain about battery-powered toys-- and yet they continue to proliferate despite the easy fix of a screwdriver. I want to make it possible for our children to know joy, but not at the expense of sanity, patience and stamina. Who likes the fuss? I'm sure there are people out there, but I surely have not met any as of yet. Rant, rant, rant, that's all I ever do on your blog! Let me know if I should cry "bolnpaox" (the word verification of the moment.)

gojirama said...

All I can say is those places give me headaches too.

Lone Star Ma said...

You have a point, Alkelda....but the kids just love them so much. I knew some mother of an baby/toddler was going to say that...I think I can only offer: you'll see. It starts when your kid gets invited to the party of a very good friend there...and after that, they are hooked. I get out of most such outings whenever possible, but don't feel I can deprive them entirely. Truthfully, I have been suprised how true it is that one's children can adore things that one cannot stand...but they do. Another mother said the establishment was missing out on a wonderful business opportunity...they should have a pedicure/massage room for the mothers. That would be a great idea! The place starts with a G...

Saints and Spinners said...

I know I'll "see," but I don't wanna! I've already capitulated to the "Hokey Pokey" and "Shake My Sillies Out" (two song-dances in which I never used to participate), but I'm drawing the line at repeated stompings to the beat of "Wake Up, Jeff!" (Lucia's best friend Vitus brought that phrase into the house. Vitus is a big Wiggles fan. Fine. I love the Beatles, after all. Is this making any sense? No? Well, then, let's just say that I am more than okay with not having a television in our living space. I suffer no delusions-- if we had a tv in the living room, Lucia would want to watch it. And hey, if there's no tv, there are no commercials to worry about. Yet.)

Lone Star Ma said...

I think you have definitely hit upon the best prevention to the host of such things that society will push. It won't keep it all out but it will help more than anything else. We have not been so strong, but have done without cable which most people these days seem to equate with going without underwear. That helped tremendously until the last year or so when we became much more lax about media restrictions...LSG reached an age where more network TV seemed less objectionable; etc. She still insists that my media and safety rules are more restrictive than any other mother's in THE WORLD. I blame school...