Saturday, October 08, 2005

Nursing In Public Episode

Today we ventured out to Hobby Lobby to get some supplies for one of the Lone Star Girl's school projects. At some point during that odyssey, the Lone Star Baby began campaigning for her mama-milk. I tried to distract her so we could get to the bookstore where there were places to sit down comfortably, but she was wise to my tactics and got louder, so I finally pushed the cart to the end of the aisle, told the Lone Star Girl to watch it, and sat on the floor to nurse the Lone Star Baby. While we were nursing, a woman who appeared to be around my mother's age walked past and stopped, turned, and asked me: "Did you see Dr. Phil yesterday?"

"No," I replied, curious.

"It was about that," she said, gesturing with her chin toward our nursing tableau.

"Was he really horrible about it?" I asked in a sort of friendly way, uncertain whether I was being rebuked or not.

"Oh, no," she said. "He was really good about it. Some other people were really nasty about it, though. A shame, too, " she said, shaking her head about the anti-breastfeeders. I smiled at her as she walked on. Score one for Dr. Phil.

Mere seconds later as the Lone Star Baby was engaged in her customary manuever to try to get my shirt as far away from her face as she could manage, thus exposing me as much as possible, another grandmotherly woman approached us. She saw me on the floor, smiled and said: "Where ever it's necessary." I smiled at her as she walked by.

Take heart, Mamas!

1 comment:

klk said...

Thank Goodness! I was about to go off on that Dr. Pill...I usually can't stand the man!!!!

Yay lone star babe, knock that shirt right off!!!