Thursday, October 13, 2005

Native American Day

Yesterday was "Native American Day" at the Lone Star Girl's school, the culmination of a unit they have been studying on Native Americans in all their classes. They went to school dressed as members of their assigned tribes, performed plays in music complete with pictographs, drums and chanting, had a feast, presented the Native American shields they had made in art class and presented the slide shows they had made on their assigned tribes in computer class. It was fun and educational.

I was recruited to make a Native American stew from ingredients contributed by the children in the Lone Star Girl's class for the feast. I am not much of a cook, but I found a great recipe and it turned out well. In keeping with the theme of the day, I made "Three Sisters Stew" from Feeding The Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. Some Native American tribes referred to corn, beans and squash as the three sisters because of the complimentary way they helped each other grow together.

When the Lone Star Girl got up to explain her shield, she said she had painted a lot of triangle designs on it to represent what she saw as the three sides to every conflict. She said there was one person's side, that twisted the other person's point of view into a bad thing, the other person's side, which did the same thing about the first person's point of view, and the truth, which was usually somewhere in the middle. I am her mother, of course, but I thought that was pretty deep for a fourth grader. I just love that kid.

5 comments:

gojirama said...

That is deep. I'm very impressed.

I made Three Sisters Stew once years ago, but no one would eat it. :(

Lone Star Ma said...

Did you eat it? My kid is picky, too, but it was really good. Most of the kids liked it a lot. Takes a good recipe for me not to screw it up.

klk said...

Brilliant explanation from one lone star kid! Must be your kid, so wise at a young age! ;)

I'm glad they are celebrating the Native American Days so close to the OTHER MAN's DAY....ya know?!

That's cool.

very cool.

Veloute said...

What a fun assignment!

She seems very wise for her years.

Lone Star Ma said...

Thank you(: She still hasn't figured out that she eventually falls when she keeps tipping her chair, though....