Sunday, October 30, 2005

Currently Reading...

Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out with The Diapers by Marrit Ingman. It's really good. Marrit is a Texas mama who wrote a great article about her son's food sensitivities called The Reluctant Vegan for Issue 7 of Lone Star Ma, and it was great, but I had no idea how hilarious she was until I read an article she wrote about her ovaries talking to her in Fertile Ground. She is even funnier in this edgy memoir about post-partum depression and her son's serious allergies. Those topics don't sound funny to you, you say? Well, that's definitely true in a way, but a certain twisted sense of humor helps people survive at such times and I love Marrit's dark humor...the chapter called "Playgroup Drinking Game", for instance. In addition to being funny, the book also tackles the issues of PPD, and parenting in our messed up, mother-isolating world, with the intelligence they deserve. It is an important work. It is also bound to be a hit. I just hope that when she's famous, Marrit will still do pro-bono writing for the little zines that love her so. Congratulations on your great book, Marrit!!!!!

No comments: