Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stinging Day

While we were all still feeling fairly sick and disgruntled after a week with flu involved, the Lone Star Baby got stung on the back of her neck by a bee in the backyard yesterday afternoon.

Given her sister's serious allergies, we were rather more worried about it than it is generally necessary to be. We gave her benadryl and ibuprofen and put antibiotic and hydrocortisone cream on it and applied a cold pack for a very long time. Allergy-Girl actually has been stung by a bee before and it was a total non-incident that didn't even hurt much, but the Lone Star Baby's sting really did hurt. For about an hour, she wailed any time we tried taking the cold pack off, although she is generally not a fan of getting cold applied to her boo-boos. It got better, though.

I was supposed to be taking the Lone Star Girl to a booth sale (Girl Scout cookies), but had no intention of leaving the Lone Star Baby until several hours had passed and I felt sure she would not have an allergic reaction, so Lone Star Pa did cookie duty instead (which was for the best, as he wore the Thin Mint costume, which I would not have done). I shoved two Epi-Pen, Jr.'s in my purse and, as soon as she felt better, took the Lone Star Baby to get ice cream and then to the toy store for a fairy doll she had been saving for before she lost her Christmas money somewhere.

Pathetic, I know, but I was feeling that stressed about it.

She is totally fine, though, and there isn't hardly any swelling today. She is actually the only member of the family who seems to feel pretty much fine today, as the rest of us would really rather we were all still in bed (Lone Star Pa is).

Hope your weekend is going better than ours, while still grateful that ours has not been much worse...

3 comments:

gojirama said...

Poor baby! I'm glad she's OK.

Saints and Spinners said...

What an ordeal! I'm not allergic to bee stings, but I certainly swell up and ache for a long time. I hope LSB's feeling better as I type this. What was the fairy dolly?

Lone Star Ma said...

Silvermist - Disney (hangs head).