Friday, February 06, 2009

Perfect Morning

I had to take a sick day yesterday because the Lone Star Girl had a doctor appointment and an orthodontist appointment that I had to take her to, but the timing of the appointments allowed me a pocket of morning to spend at the Lone Star Baby's school as well. The school has been inviting parents into the Casa De Ninos to observe this month, so I got to sit and watch the Lone Star Baby work. It was so lovely.

The Lone Star Baby worked really hard on some cool sensory materials, and also on some math and reading materials. I was surprised at how many different activities she did in a short amount of time, but also surprised at how well she managed to persevere in a difficult activity without giving up. I was very proud of my industrious little girl.

The room was just a Montessori utopia of busy little autonomous people - so wonderful. The Lone Star Baby was really happy and excited and proud to have me there, too, and to be leaving early with me to pick up her sister.

I got to see her present her 100 Days project to the class and got to go outside with them while they released some monarch butterflies they had been raising from caterpillars in a tent in their classroom. They ordered caterpillars to raise last year, but this year, they just found them in the garden - the offspring, possibly, of last year's.

It was so wonderful. I wish I could spend more days like that.

2 comments:

gojirama said...

What wonderful girls you have :)

Andrea said...

How great that you have a school like that!