Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Talking About Weaning

The discussion aspect of the nursing relationship is one of those joys that most of the early-weaning American population would never consider except when expressing how creepy they think it is to nurse kids who can talk...but it really is a joy.

The Lone Star Baby seemed determined to be pretty oblivious to the fact that she will one day wean until recently. I finally managed to get her to listen to that lovely old storybook, Maggie's Weaning, without feeling threatened by it. Now she asks me to read it often and we talk about how she will someday want to wean (when I'm four years old, she says) and how we will have a weaning party for her if she wants one and she can choose a cake for the party, like her sister did when she weaned. These sorts of conversations are how she gets used to the idea of weaning and comes around to seeing it as something that could be good someday.

Slowly, she is getting ready to blossom into her next stage.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of a weaning party. It is a celebration of moving onto the next stage. I really miss breastfeeding :)

gojirama said...

How sweet- it makes me nostalgic for my nursing a preschooler days.