Friday, January 25, 2008

Invention Fair and Other Middle School Blahs

Today was the Invention Fair at the Lone Star Girl's school - during school, and I couldn't go. I am damn hyper about prioritizing the kids' stuff and this is probably the biggest thing I have missed due to employment. The Lone Star Girl swears she doesn't care (and I think it is probably true - she doesn't even want me in her new clean room), but I felt really badly about it. The invention she and her group made was football gear with a water pack and tube attached, so that thirsty ballplayers have a source of hydration at the ready. They had to make a prototype, film a commercial, design a logo and brochure, and make a board very similar to a science fair board. Today they presented it all at a fair at school. They worked hard on it, and spent several weekends scurrying around together getting stuff done. The Lone Star Girl says (in response to my guilty interrogation) she would estimate that half the parents went. Knowing her classmates and the unusual preponderance of stay-at-home moms in her program, I imagine that guess was shaded to preserve my feelings.

The second semester started this week and, although the Lone Star Girl had wanted a full year of PE and a full year of Theatre Arts for her electives (I could not sell her on Exploratory Spanish), what she got was a full year of PE and a semester of Theatre Arts followed by a semester of Technology Applications, which has now begun. She tried to get transferred to Art, but couldn't.

No comments: