Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A Quaker Child!

For the longest time, the Lone Star Girl was the only Quaker child in Corpus Christi. I started having First Day School at home with her when she was three and a half or so, but I used to stop over and attend Meeting with her in Austin a couple of times a year if I could, on our way to or back from visiting family in the Metroplex, so that she could attend First Day School and see that there were other Quaker children in the world. During that period, our Meeting was made up of basically three other women besides myself and they were all past childbearing age, so it looked, for awhile there, like I would be responsible for re-populating the Meeting all by myself (with Lone Star Pa's assistance). Then, one beautiful day a few months before the Iraq War started, a nine-year-old girl walked into our Meeting and we had sort of a real First Day School, with me as the teacher, though I have always let the girls lead for the most part, as they are pretty capable. That child is now 14 and it has been a deep joy to have her here in our Meeting. On Sunday, another joy: in walked a two-year-old! I do not usually bring the Lone Star Baby to Meeting, as she is noisy, but I called Lone Star Pa and had him bring her over and they played with the daddies in another room while we had Meeting. Such joy!

2 comments:

Farida Dowler said...

I enjoyed First Day school the year that I went (1st grade). We had 6 year old identical twins in the class.

Lone Star Ma said...

Cool. Was it a Quaker First Day School or do Mennonites call it that, too?