Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Interview Meme from Alkelda the Gleeful of Saints and Spinners

Happy Birthday, Gleeful One! Now, I answer your questions:

1 )What fairy tale, myth or fictional story are you most drawn to as your own, and why? Tell me about childhood associations, parallels with your own life, fulfillment of wishes, etc.

Selkie stories resonate the most with me. I am a sea person, for one reason and the sea always resonates. Also, I am a fish out of water most places; I never quite fit in...that might be it. Or not.


2) What story makes you angry? How does it make you angry?

The Giving Tree sucks, of course, for obvious reasons. The Disneyfied version of the Little Mermaid pisses me off - trading one's voice for a man and all - but the real story is not so insipid. I am really more angered by some of the non-fiction "stories" we tell...the Good Mother, the Heroic Teacher...all that crap that tries to trap us into carrying alone the burdens which belong to the whole society.

3) If you could choose three books to be brought back into print, which ones would they be?

Hmmm.
A. Noah's Castle.
B. The cat one. You know the one I mean, Alkelda, with Egypt...what's it's called? I can't find it just now.
C. Everything by Joan Slonczewski. I know that's cheating.

4) Tell me about the movie you want to see that has not yet been created.

I really wanted them to make post Return of the Jedi Star Wars movies at the time, but I wouldn't want them to now that everyone is older. I don't know. Maybe if they could make a good A Wrinkle In Time instead of the sucky one they made, but I don't think they could. Or a good The Dark Is Rising, but I don't think they could.

5.) If you had free reign in your classroom to decide the curriculum, what would it be?

I don't much mind our curriculum. It is Texas History that I teach and the only problem is that we have one year to cover Texas from the beginning of human history until today You need more time to teach any of it well. I think I'd make it two years, with the first year being the beginning of time through Reconstruction plus government and the second year being Reconstruction to the present plus government again. Government's important.

5 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Hey, LSM! Thanks for your interview answers. To get your link, I clicked on the date after it says "Posted by LoneStarMa on...." That gave me the permanent link: http://lonestarmablog.blogspot.com/2007/03/interview-meme-from-alkelda-gleeful-of.html

Saints and Spinners said...

I don't recall the cat one that's set in Egypt. Tell me more!

Lone Star Ma said...

Yes, you do. I just explained it badly. The girl who lived in modern times, but also in ancient Egypt...Cat in The Mirror! That's it.

Saints and Spinners said...

Ah, yes, the Mary Stolz book. I haven't read that in forever. I fancied that "Irun" was my real name a la Wizard of Earthsea. As it turned out, I did have an "other" name, but it wasn't that!

Lone Star Ma said...

I do love the Earthsea books! My favorite is Tehanu, though, and many people did not ike it as well as the earlier ones - women's magic and all.