Sunday, March 04, 2007

Egg In A Nest

Frying and Lone Star Ma are not a good combination. I don't do much true cooking at all, due to time constraints, so my skill level has remained relatively low (for someone who is the eldest of 6+ siblings; I'm not incompetent or anything), but frying is something I have way more trouble with than most cooking attempts. It pretty much never goes off without a hitch. All the same, I get the urge to try from time to time and today was such a day. When my younger siblings were tiny and I was in college, their babysitter, a close family friend, used to make them Egg In A Nest. My baby sister, then a toddler the same age as the Lone Star Baby is now, could not get enough of it. Egg In A Nest is when you make toast and cut a circle out of the middle of it, then fry the toast while frying an egg in the little cut-out circle in the middle. I made it today - sort of. As with all my other attempts to make it, the eggs and toast looked pretty messy by the time I was finished. Also, I had, as is my routine when frying, to open the back door in the kitchen so the smoke would go outside before setting off the alarm, but it tasted pretty good. I gave the baby the least burnt-looking one and she pronounced it "very, very yummy", even though I know its appearance did not inspire in her the toddler magic that was once my sister's experience. The Lone Star Girl is made ridiculously happy by such rare forays into home cooking on my part. Sigh.

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Hah! Yes, the Egg in a Nest (or Toad in a Hole, or my favorite concoction, "Toad in a Bucket") is a deceptively simple concoction to make. When you make it again, I recommend covering the frying pan for 10 or 15 seconds so that the heat cooks the top of the egg enough for you to flip it over without it running everywhere. I do this for pancakes, too.

Lone Star Ma said...

Thank you! Good plan!

Please explain the bucket to me.