Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Care Crisis

The current issue of The Nation has in it an excellent article by Ruth Rosen called The Care Crisis about our stalled feminist revolution and how women are carrying the weight of the crisis in our nation's non-system of supporting the care of children and the elderly. I highly recommend it to everyone. I think I am going to have to start subscribing to The Nation again. I had a subscription years ago as a much younger person, but let it lapse as I became a mother because, as with many of the politically oriented publications I used to read, it did not seem to pay adequate attention to the political issues that I was concerned with...issues just like the one this article addresses. Many such publications (can you say The New Republic?) still seem to marginalize and mock the very real political issues that affect families with children all over the U.S., but The Nation seems to be starting to pay serious attention to these issues, and I am grateful.

No comments: