Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What I Love About Texas

Alkelda The Gleeful asked me what I love about Texas, in a call for an ode. It is a strange thing to answer because it is a strange affection. Texas is a state in which poverty is rampant, education is poor, violence and guns and beef are epidemic, oil is King, tolerance for differences is scant (except in Austin) and the social safety net is riddled with bullet holes and cruelty. Anything I say I love about it can easily be refuted, and the opposite of anything I say I love about it is likely true...but life is strange that way, isn't it? Just because the opposite of a good thing is true, it does not mean that the good thing isn't also true. Sometimes it does, but not always. So, with full knowledge of and sorrow for its shortcomings, and full awareness of the ironies inherent in some of the following statements,

I Love TEXAS Because:

My children were born here
I was born here
Of the green Gulf of Mexico, teeming with salt life
Of the beautiful sound of Spanish in my ears
Of bluebonnets and mesquite trees
Of Tex-Mex food
Of cowbirds and whooping cranes
NASA is here
Of bats and caves
Large parts of it stay fairly warm all year
Texans are friendly
Texas is really big
Its flag is pretty
Texans are tough
Texas is my home.


6 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Those are some good reasons to love Texas!

By the way, in the last story of Yoko's World of Kindness, a new girl (cat) named Juanita joins the kindergarten class from Texas. I think Yoko's setting is in California, whereas Emily's (of My Kindergarten and Emily's First 100 Days) setting is in Maine.

Lone Star Ma said...

What do you love about Washington (or Maryland or West Virginia or Indiana...)?

I like the first grade books by Hoban. The LSG and I used to read them when she was in pre-school.

Saints and Spinners said...

What I love about Washington State(in no particular order):

1)Looking up into the sky and seeing craiggy mountains.
2)Mild, green winters.
3)King County Library System and Seattle Public Library system.
4)Plethora of used-bookstores in the way that NYC should still have.
5)Seattle's inferiority complex to NYC (which NYC doesn't even know exists)
6)Skagit County Tulip Festival
7)Independent coffee-shops and road shacks
8)Snow is a major event
9)Large Ethiopian population means lots of Ethiopian restaurants!
10)Liquid sunshine.

Lone Star Ma said...

Liquid sunshine?

Snow being a major event: In December of 2004, it snowed here on Christmas Eve. It was a miracle. The last time it had snowed (just flurries in ths sky) was when I was 2, the last time it had snowed and STUCK was 100 years ago and this snow (6 inches!) was the most in recorded history. It was truly amazing. No one here ever thought we'd see that!

Saints and Spinners said...

"Liquid sunshine" is our glib term for rain.

Lone Star Ma said...

I use it for OJ but couldn't imagine that WA was famous for that(: