Monday, May 22, 2006

Tooth Fairy

The Lone Star Girl lost a tooth last night. I guess I had thought she was already finished with her baby teeth, but she wasn't. I wonder if this one was the last one.

When the Lone Star Girl first started losing teeth, the Tooth Fairy had to seriously consider the best form of compensation that she could provide in exchange for the teeth of a child in our family. A lot has changed, you see, since I was a child and the Tooth Fairy generally paid around fifty cents per tooth. These days, the going rate is often $5-$10 per tooth. Inflation, perhaps. Or scarcity due to soda; I don't really know. The Tooth Fairy knew, however, that our family would not want such high rates paid to a young child with little concept of the worth of money, so she pondered a way to suit our family's values while still doing something special for the Lone Star Girl. I think she came up with a great idea. For every tooth that the Lone Star Girl loses, the Tooth Fairy leaves the Lone Star Girl one gold Sacagawea dollar. It is not an excessive amount of money, but it is so special that extra money is not missed. Those Sacagawea dollars are so cool with little Pomp on his mother's back - the Lone Star Girl likes them. I hope the Tooth Fairy does the same thing when it is the Lone Star Baby's turn to lose teeth!


4 comments:

Triana said...

GADS! $5-10?? Geesh! Kids today! I really like the Tooth Fairy at your house. Sounds like she knows the value of a $1!

Saints and Spinners said...

That's great! When I lost my first tooth, I found an Eisenhauer "silver dollar" under my pillow. I was convinced then that the tooth fairy actually did exist, because there was NO WAY my parents would have been able to get their hands on such a coin. I like the Sacajawea coins for the teeth-- they're golden and special. I carry one in my wallet for good luck. Every now and then, if I want to give someone money who asks for it, I'll give my Sacajawea dollar. I used to love the Susan B. Anthony dollars, but I got a bit disillusioned when I found out what a staunch racist she was.:( (Many of our heroes have clay feet.)

A WONDERFUL book by Peter Sis is Madlenka. It involves a trip around the world (that takes place on one New York City block) and a loose tooth.

Lone Star Ma said...

Madlenka - I'll have to look for it. Thanks.

I don't know if SBA really was racist. Most of what I have read implies that she was a staunch abolitionist and very supportive of the rights of African-Americans...right up until it became clear that they were going to give the vote to African-American men and not to women at all. Then she began to firmly oppose that const. amendment and did make some really nasty, racist statements along the lines of needing to bring former slaves up to the level of "civilization" already attained by white women (ugh!) before they got the vote. Utterly horrible and inexcusable, but more politics than actual racism, from what I have read. She didn't care who she hurt if it got the vote for women for awhile there, which was awful, too. Have you read different? I'm interested in reading what you have, if so. I write about suffrage a lot and I want to get it right. Thanks.

Saints and Spinners said...

LSM-- I read a quote from Susan B. Anthony some time ago that had me upset. I'm not coming up with the exact quote, though, so I want to wait to see if I can indeed dig it up.