Friday, January 16, 2009

Breaking Even And then Some

Teachers in my district got a raise, thanks to the generous vote of our taxpayers, starting in December. Our health insurance changed starting this month, though, and it looked like the insurance I carry - for employee and children - was going to cost a lot more when I filled out the paperwork. I've been waiting to see if the raise would cover the complete cost of the change in health insurance or if I'd be bringing home less come January than I was before the raise. I got my first January check on the 15th and it actually looks like I am bringing home a little more than before the raise, even with the health insurance! There's a part of me that is still worried that it is some nasty timing trick and that it will be different next month, but I am hopeful that the check I got will be the way my checks stay this year. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

I do wish you much luck and fortune. With his own business, Bede was able to give himself a raise this year, but our health insurance went up as well (we paid out of pocket), and it feels like we're paying for a pied a terre in addition to our mortgage.

Lone Star Ma said...

I'm sorry!

I have high hopes for the cost of health care improving in the next few years!