Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Lazy Mom's Fake Veggie Scotch Eggs

I had never heard of Scotch eggs until reading a recent post on Fertile Ground, but the post sparked my interest and I started googling recipes. While real sausage isn't going to happen in my house, veggie sausage choices abound, so the veggie part was easy. The recipes also involved things like creating flour mixtures in which to roll sausage-encased eggs and I knew I would not be doing anything that complicated, so I thought ... puff pastry! Yes! Puff pastry is a lazy mom's friend. I bought a tube of veggie sausage that looked sticky, hard-boiled some eggs, defrosted some puff pastry and we were good to go. For the couple of "authentic" ones I tried to make, I stuck veggie sausage around the hard-boiled eggs and then encased them in puff pastry. I knew Lone Star Pa and the Lone Star Baby wouldn't go for that, though, so I also made a bunch without the soysauge. I baked them at 400 degrees until the puff pastry puffed.

My assessment - eh. The veggie sausage we used wasn't really very good and we ended up picking it out for the most part. I think it could be good with a veggie sausage that tasted more like the MorningStar Farms brand Breakfast Patties, but I don't know how you'd get that to stick without having to use a blender and all kinds of crazy junk like that, which would not be happening here. The ones with just egg and pastry were fun and the Lone Star Baby and the Lone Star Girl really enjoyed the novelty of it. I don't think I'll be doing it often, though.

No comments: