Friday, June 16, 2006

Yoga Attempt

The Lone Star Girl has expressed an interest in yoga for the past few months. She kept finding articles about it in magazines and trying poses on the floor. A few weeks ago, the Central Library had an exhibit of posters on Hinduism which I took her to see, knowing that the Jains would really interest her. She found some yoga books at the exhibit, checked them out and started doing more exercises at home. I was pleased at the interest, being sort of on the look-out for a healthy and constructive hobby that will really hook the Lone Star Girl, and thought she could use the help with focus and relaxation that yoga might provide. A couple of weeks ago, I took her to the Yoga Center that recently opened in our community to find out about classes. There are no kids' classes but she was welcomed to the beginning adult classes, which are only $5 a class for drop-ins. Someone at the Center suggested a few different kinds that she might want to try and we went home with the Lone Star Girl in very happy and excited mode. Last week, Lone Star Pa dropped her off at a Hatha Flow class. When I got home, she was very sore and saying she didn't think she liked yoga after all. I encouraged her to try the other class she had been interested in and reminded her that most physical disciplines will make one sore at first until one gets in shape for it and she agreed. Yesterday, I took her to the Gentle Yoga class, but afterwards, she said that yoga wasn't for her. She only likes the guided relaxation at the end. I offered to let her try their meditation class, but she said she could lay on the floor at home. So much for yoga! I am still proud of my girl, though - going in there all alone with a bunch of strange adults to try something that was totally her own idea. She's growing up!

2 comments:

Triana said...

Oh wow, good for her for trying it! What about just good ol' Hatha Yoga? Well if she ever gets the urge again. It's not quite as continuous as Hatha Flow, but probably more interesting than Gentle (at least I'm assuming that's a little slower, I think I took something similar). I looooove yoga, I wish I could find a place I could afford to go to. There's a brilliant place in Austin, but it's a little pricey.

Saints and Spinners said...

I agree with LSG-- the guided relaxation is my favorite part. I don't mind doing yoga on my own, but I've never gelled with the classes.

Babar has a good Yoga for Elephants book, by the way. It's funny AND informative.