Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Teaching Job

I don't like to count my poultry before it emerges from its shell but it does look like I have me a job.

I have been recommended for a position teaching social studies at a local middle school in the fall and I am rather excited about it. I had harbored a not-to-be fantasy about getting hired by the middle school that the Lone Star Girl will attend year-after-next, but another principal recommended me first and, though I mourn the fantasy, I am pleased as punch with the reality. I really liked interviewing with this principal a bunch and think I will like working for him. The school is, without a doubt, the school with the toughest, most inner-city reputation in town, so I feel I will still be working in a job where I can be truly useful to youth and that makes me feel better about this whole career change roller-coaster ride I am on...I'm excited; did I mention that?

I am jealous of my fellow students who have already been given keys to their classrooms and curricula to peruse...the principal knows I am chomping at the bit but I think it may still be a couple of weeks before I get to start preparing. Last night, I dreamt that I did get to go see my classroom. It was a wonderland - huge and filled with books and an overhead projector and most everything I would need (talk about fantasies, I bet!). It was filthy and cluttered and I felt a bit overwhelmed but so pleased and excited.

And GUESS what social studies course I will be teaching? Guess! Guess the perfection of it! Post your guesses!!!!!!! Guess!!!


20 comments:

Triana said...

There's more than one kind of social studies taught now in schools? Gads! I wanna come take your class then! Mine were always just "social studies" and terribly uninteresting at that. I'm going to guess it's something with women!

Triana said...

OH! And I started reading Sunshine last night!

Lone Star Ma said...

Do you see now why I said you had to read it, baker-woman? :)

Not a class about women but one I am pretty sure you took in middle school unless you lived elsewhere then.

I need more guesses!

Veloute said...

Yeah, mine were always just "social studies", too. Well, I was in school with Triana, so of course.

Thinking. Not about women?

Hm.

I am stumped, sorry.

Let me think about it some more. Everyone is awake here now and bouncing off the walls.

Veloute said...

Something about Texas? Families? Children?

I suck.

gojirama said...

What a great place for you! Let me guess- current events? Pacifism?

Veloute said...

Ooo...pacifism is a good guess.

I am glad you are so excited! I think you are going to be Super Teacher.

So I think you can tell us now.

*Beams*

Triana said...

Tell us! Tell us!!

Saints and Spinners said...

Yay! Rah! Congratulations. Are you teaching herstory?

Lone Star Ma said...

Thanks(:

While I may wish that middle school offered courses in pacifism and herstory, it does not - at least in these parts, anyways. I will refine the hint: what did you learn about in your social studies class in the 7th grade? The year in which the comparative course is taught in other states may, of course, be different, but for Veloute and Triana it was 7th grade for sure. Guess!!!

Veloute said...

We had a Texas History class?

Veloute said...

You are SUCH a tease.

Triana said...

In the 7th grade I had Texas History with Mrs. Ponce(?) and I'm sad to say she drained any enjoyment out of that class that could ever be possible. BUT, that would be perfect for our LSM! And I would be willing to take it again from her because I know she would make it fun!

Triana said...

ZOMG! Tell us!!!

Lone Star Ma said...

Yes! It is Texas History. Thank you! I do have plans to make it as fun as possible, given the subject matter, and inspiring always, since it is up to these young 'uns to fix the mess we have made.

Saints and Spinners said...

Um, I didn't learn about Texas history in 7th grade. I did learn about Maryland history in 4th grade, but by the time we got to 7th, it was all about the Civil War. Eighth grade was Mayans and Aztecs, though, so we're getting a little bit closer in terms of geographic proximity.

Lone Star Ma said...

In Texas, 4th and 7th do state history, 5th does an overview of American, start to present, 6th does world and 8th does American from the early colonial period to reconstruction. (11th does American from then on - used to be done in 9th but now it's the 11th graders who take the state exit level test so they moved it. My certification is only 4-8, though.)

Veloute said...

Wow. I don't remember any of these history classes except Texas History. And I only remember doing my family tree in that class and Bill Hall sat like two seats behind me. I have no idea why I remember that, but there you go. Anyway!

LSM, you will be the Queen of Texas History! I would love your class. I know your class will be exciting and inspiring.

Actually, I do remember world history in 6th grade. I had a good teacher. We did all sorts of interesting creative things.

Triana said...

Woo hoo! Congrats!

I remember Ken Wilcox sat behind me in Texas History. No clue why I remember that.

Lone Star Ma said...

Thank you!