Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Return of the Lone Star Girl

Yay! We drove out to the camp on Friday evening (It's around an hour away) and picked up the Lone Star Girl and brought her home. She looks fabulous! It is always so impressive to me what a week in the woods with a bunch of girls can do...she really should spend a week each month out there! I'd miss her, though, and get taken to truancy court, so I guess that's not happening. She was bursting with vitality and enthusiasm, though, a wonderful change from all the sullen puberty she's been exhibiting lately - camp rocks so much! She had a great time and only had a fit of homesickness one evening/night even though they neglected to give her all of my carefully composed cheerful letters and e-mails until Thursday. She spent most of her time on boating (canoes), swimming and theatre. She was bursting with details about how much she loved boating, word-for-word accounts of all the skits that she participated in and watched, performances of the songs she learned (at least one of which I remembered from when I went to Girl Scout camp as a child) and stories about all her new friends and exciting experiences (like discovering and exploring an abandoned unit - a haunted one). Earlier during the day on the day on which we collected her, the Lone Star Girl had participated in a mile-swim. She didn't make the requirements for the patch, which included making it in 60 minutes to her 63 and a half minutes, but she was the only Junior who completed the mile - not even any of the Cadets made it - just her and a C-I-T and some Seniors. I am so incredibly proud of my girl! She says that her goal is to make it in an hour next year, then in under 50 minutes the next year, then within 45 minutes the following year - the requirement for having your name added to a plaque that they keep at camp of the most amazing mile-swimmers over the years. I am so proud of her and so glad she had such a great time!

No comments: