Friday, June 16, 2006

Family Swim Night

The Lone Star Girl has swim practice in the evenings at a nearby city pool from 7pm until 8pm. On Thursdays, the pool has Family Swim Night after practice, so we all went last night. It was the first time I had been in the pool since I broke my arm and it was fun. I pushed the Lone Star Baby around in her floatie and she had a great time telling me she was kicking and taking turns holding the swim noodle with her sister (Sissy turn!).The Lone Star Girl and Lone Star Pa engaged in a lot of horseplay and silliness and I even got to swim a few laps in the lane. It was fun. We stayed until the Lone Star Baby started shivering and then went home. I like being at the pool with the busy community all around us. I am glad we go to a city pool instead of a private swim club like most of the LSG's friends. We have always valued education and struggled to send the Lone Star Girl to very good schools and it has resulted in a bit of economic disconnect. We are middle class, but on the lower side - the struggling middle class as the census says. We've had lots of economic troubles, some quite serious, but have always had everything we need and more. Surrounded at school by families who are wealthy (the LSG goes to a public school but because it is a GT school that required taking a test in kindergarten to be admitted as a first-grader, many of the other kids are ones who went to expensive pre-schools that prepared them for the test. The LSG went to expensive pre-schools, too, since I had to work and wanted her in the best care, but not to the test-prep. ones - not my thing), the Lone Star Girl has a bit of a skewed economic view at times. She often feels poor in relation to her friends. She knows we are not poor, but she still feels that way, especially in terms of time since I have always had to work. I like to participate in more activities at our actual economic level - like going to the city pool - so the kids can get a better view of reality than they do at school.

No comments: