Sunday, September 21, 2008

Spooky Encounter

I took the Lone Star Baby for a short walk around the block this afternoon, as she's been pretty cooped up, and we had an interesting experience. We were passing under a tree and seemed to disturb a bird which flew up out of it...but it sounded really huge. It perched on the house we were walking past and at first I thought it was an eagle as it was bigger than my four-year-old. I realized pretty quickly that it was a vulture, though, and that it was mad at us for crossing between it and the dead little possum it had been about to pounce upon. It kept glaring at us and raising and lowering its wings in this posturing sort of way. I was afraid it was eying the Lone Star Baby with a little too much interest so I scooped her up and carried her most of the way home. I have never seen such a thing in the middle of the city before!

1 comment:

gojirama said...

Scary! That would spook me too.