Sunday, September 21, 2008

September Pre-school Pick: The Apple Pip Princess by Jane Ray

Sometime between last Christmas and the onset of spring, my sweet girl who used to want to be a firefighter when she grew up became enamored of the Disney princesses. While I gave in pretty fast when I saw how futile my efforts to avoid this were, I feel I should point out that certain other relatives deserve the primary blame for this descent into pink froth.

Anyway, I hardly think it is the end of the world, no matter how much it creeps me out sometimes, but I do feel it is important to provide some much more progressive takes on her little passion to balance out that stupid mermaid and company. In pursuit of that end, I have tried to find strong princess stories like Tatterhood to expose my little princess to and that seems to work better than directly attacking the values of her pink posse. I recently found a nice library book that suited my purposes in this endeavor - The Apple Pip Princess by Jane Ray. In this story, there are three princess sisters living in a kingdom that has been barren since the death of their mother (interesting twist on the king and the land stories). Dad decides that one of them needs to succeed him and gives them a few days to impress him and prove who should get the job. The two older sisters are very self-involved and embark upon self-involved projects but Serenity brings life and fertility back to the land, using her mother's magic. It is a beautifully told story with gorgeous illustrations and nary a Prince Charming in sight.

3 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

This has been on my list! I'll go request it from the library now. Are you familiar with Mary Hoffman's Princess Grace (in the Amazing Grace pb series)? It's a tad didactic, but quite appropriate, I think.

Lone Star Ma said...

I love Amazing Grace, but I don't remember that one. I'll have to look.

Andrea said...

Sounds like a great book...I read M "The Paperbag Princess" a couple of years ago and at the end he was like, "but why didn't she marry the prince? why? why?" Maybe it's time to try again.