Sunday, September 21, 2008

September YA Pick: Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I'm a fan of Rachel Cohn. I think Gingerbread is one of the top ten YA books around, for certain - I love it, love it, love it. I have enjoyed the other works of hers that I have read, but none of them really measure up to Gingerbread - such is the way of things with masterpieces, I fear. Nonetheless, Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist, a book in which she writes the chapters from Norah's point of view and the other author writes the chapters from Nick's point of view, is a most excellent story. It is not for everyone, as it includes a smattering of drugs and plenty of sex and rock 'n' roll, but I'm okay with sex and rock 'n' roll in this context and I really enjoyed the book, which is about two teens who get thrown together for a night of adventure and self-discovery and who, predictably, find each other as well. The Lone Star Girl really liked this book, as well. And I got to introduce her to the idea of Straight Edge punks - what more can one ask for from a novel? A movie of it is coming out soon, but the previews I have seen look like they bear little relationship to the story of the book.

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

I think I would see Nick and Norah in the theatres sooner than I would see the upcoming Twilight, the latter of which will probably fall into my "must rent" pile.

Lone Star Ma said...

I'm sure we'll be seeing that one, too - help me, heeelp me...