Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Swimming With Kids

(Or rather:  hanging out in the pool with kids who are swimming because I have to watch them, so I need to keep my glasses on, not swim.)

This experience offers so much potential for personal growth as a mama, I must say.  I am really proud of myself for embracing its opportunities.

First, I'm really fat.  While I don't have a lot of remaining issues with modesty after childbirth and nursing and all, I also don't love putting on a swimsuit and going to a venue where I might be the fattest person present.  That said, I do it.  For the kids.  Because I rock like that.

Second, I'm really anxious, especially about things like water safety and traffic safety where kids are concerned.  Did anyone see me letting the eight-year-old and the nine-year-old walk to the diving board line, wait in it, jump off the board and swim to safety all on their own?  Also, I let the five-year-old swim just yards ahead of me under my watchful eye.  I let the eight-year-old walk her to the potty.  Because I rock like that.

I also let all three kids climb all over me and make me their personal water  taxi, even though I am really not the climbing parent in this family.  Why?  Because I rock like that.

I do.


1 comment:

Maggie May said...

Yes, yes you do rock!