Wednesday, March 30, 2011

People's Inhumanity About Food Allergies

I have been so busy running around lately that I missed the story about the cruel adults in Orlando, Florida who have been protesting the inconvenience of having a six-year-old girl at their school with severe peanut allergies.

I found out about it at the allergist's office this evening, as we waited for my daughter's turn to get her allergy shot.  A boy who my daughter has gone to school with since first grade was waiting with his mother, who I have chatted with before at parties hosted by a mutual friend.   Seating was limited on the allergist's weekly late evening, so I was sitting near them with my youngest while my daughter with the allergies was sitting across the waiting area.  I told them that my daughter got shots for ant bites and the mom commented that she knew someone who had to carry an epi-pen for that.  I told her that my daughter carried one, but mostly for the food allergies, as the shots were working great at controlling her reactions to ant bites.   She then mentioned reading about this story.

And she said she really didn't know how she would come down on the issue.

Really?

4 comments:

Veloute said...

I can't imagine protesting having a child at your school because of a peanut allergy. Really. That is just insane.

Honestly, it makes sense to ban nuts from school. It's too dangerous for a lot of kids and it's not even difficult to pack a different lunch. What is wrong with people?

I'm sorry. I am just amazed at this mother who did not know how she would come down on the issue. REALLY? It is a no-brainer.

Lone Star Ma said...

Most parents of kids with allergies don't even want nuts banned in cafeterias, where risk ought to be able to be managed with some attention to detail - just in the classrooms themselves where little kids can't always be expected to be careful....or in our case, on buses traveling across any long stretches of Texas that do not contain hospitals. Fortunately, my kid's school has been great.

gojirama said...

It's a terrible thing. I personally know two families who homeschool only because they don't trust the schools to keep their children from dying to peanut exposure. They should not be forced into that position.

Saints and Spinners said...

I have a friend who had to pull her child out of a school beacause of another parent's cruelty over an airborn peanut allergy. The administration was weak and cowardly. I worry that it will take a death and subsequent lawsuit before people get it that a peanut allergy is not like a dairy intolerance.