Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Ethel


The Lone Star Girl had the "final dress rehearsal" - which doubled as the parent performance - of the UIL One-Act Play she is cast in on Monday night.  It was wonderful.  I have had my doubts about her teacher's taste in plays - he favors New York comedies that seem to me, on paper, rather difficult for an adolescent cast to do justice. (The previous sentence does not seem to be properly written to me, but my husband, the English teacher, assures me that it is correct.  I am merely a writer, not an English teacher, but I still have some doubts.)  Their play is Moon Over Buffalo and the Lone Star Girl plays Ethel, the grouchy, old mother of the fifty-something female lead. 

It was wonderful.  They totally pulled it off.  Don't ask me how.  The Lone Star Girl is hilarious.

Tuesday was the first round of the competition.  The kiddos took a bus from school to the school where the contest was and spent the day rehearsing.  I had time to pick up the Lone Star Baby after work and get there to see the play.  It was really great.   Two of the other three plays with which they were competing were also great and only two advance, so it was no sure thing, but they did advance and the Lone Star Girl won an Honorable Mention All-Star Cast medal.  We're very proud of her.


2 comments:

Maggie May said...

awesome wig, too :))

Lone Star Ma said...

No wig - just spray(: