Monday, March 14, 2011

Currently Reading

I've been rich in reading materials lately, what with finishing up the Company books by Kage Baker and a wealth of decent YA books from the library and school book fairs.  I read and enjoyed the latest book by YA collaborators Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, Dash And Lily's Book of Dares, and then came upon a real gem.

I love, love, love Rita Williams-Garcia's books as a rule - they are so real and full of such worthwhile learning.  The latest one I read was a step above even her regular wonderfulness, though - it really touched my soul. One Crazy Summer is the story of three little girls sent one summer to get to know the mother who left them.  Their mother, as it turns out, who is none too happy to see them, is tangentially involved with the Black Panthers and sends them to a community program run by Black Panthers during the day.  The girls discover more than they ever knew they were seeking.  The book is a Newberry Honor Book, a National Book Award Finalist and a winner of the Coretta Scott King Award.  I keep thinking of other awards it should have won.  

Read it.


***


My wealth of books is winding down.  I have a few more short book fair acquisitions and then I am down to an unfortunate smattering of old Norman Spinrad novels from used book store jaunts long past - kind of the "emergency" books, unless I find something more engaging, until I decide it is Time to read the special book I have waiting.

Is it Time?  I'm not sure yet.

No comments: