Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Extended Local Reaction" - Bleh

The Lone Star Girl got hives all over her upper arm this evening after getting her ant bite shot.  It was her first reaction to a shot and when we went, fairly unconcerned as she gets plenty of hives,  to show the nurse, they sort of went "whoosh!" into the exam room with us and the nurse practitioner was saying stuff about how they might be able to avoid the epinephrine and I said she really has never needed it for something that started as hives and she very politely told me to sit down and shut up, but not in those words.  They gave her an antihistamine and watched it for awhile, which is exactly what I do when she gets hives.  I asked for clarification as to whether I should worry more about hives in the future since they were so scary-serious, but they said giving the antihistamine and watching was the right thing to do when it's localized and there are no other symptoms.  So after awhile they let us leave and everyone seems fine.  

Onward to an early bedtime before the 8th grade science TAKS!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh my...way to cause a lot of unneccessary stress, huh? I don't miss those Texas fire ants (people here call regular red ants fire ants, but they don't know ant...or fire!)

Saints and Spinners said...

Wow, I wish that LSG (and you!!) didn't have to go through this. I'm glad it went okay after the whoosh into the exam room.