Thursday, March 19, 2009

Alamo City

On Tuesday, we walked from our motel to visit the Alamo, which the girls had never visited. Seventh grade is the year that kids take Texas History for social studies and I had planned many little Texas history day trips for the Lone Star Girl for this year, but old cars and the economy have sort of intervened. This was a nice trip, though. I myself had not been since I went with my family in high school or college, and I was thrilled to be going.

We had to wait outside in line for over an hour to get in, but the family was actually pretty patient with my insistence that we go. I was sort of teary-eyed about the whole thing, even if I tend to sympathize more with the Mexican side of the conflict than the Texian side - there was plenty of blame to go around, really. I felt really teary in the little stone room where the women and children hid during the fighting - I could feel Susannah Dickinson there, clutching baby Angelina and crying for her dying Almeron.

After the Alamo, we walked to the Riverwalk, not really finding the part where we had planned to enter and thereby spending a bit of hot and miserable time being lost and hungry. We found the restaurant where we wanted to have lunch, though, and they were surprisingly tolerant, given how busy they were, of my checking about allergens for the Lone Star Girl. We had a nice time eating lunch by the river while feeding chips and fries to the ducks, something the Lone Star Baby enjoys immensely. We rode the riverboat and got to hear all about the lovely area from our amusing boat captain and the Lone Star Baby was super excited about her first boat ride.

After our river adventures, we walked back to our car at the motel and drove home to Corpus Christi, where our lonely rodents awaited us. A nice trip!


No comments: