Saturday, December 20, 2008

Allergy Article

My December column is up on the website for We the People News. Lately, I've read several articles about the fact that deaths from food allergies are actually very rare these days and how we all just need to chill. While I understand the general societal need for chilling (about a whole bunch of things), when you have a child with the sort of allergy that can be life-threatening, chilling really isn't an option. Especially when that child is of an age where you cannot control what she comes into contact with and where compliance on her part is spotty at best.

The Lone Star Girl is bothered by the fact that I no longer eat nut-laden foods that I used to enjoy, because I can't enjoy them anymore. Bothered by it in a sweet way. Other people are bothered by it in a way that makes me want to beat them with heavy objects - Thanksgiving was fun, and I expect that visiting family at Christmas will be very relaxing as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am (was?) trying to do a food elimination diet to see if my intense allergy attacks might get better if I stopped consuming something I had a slight food allergy to will cause my immune system to improve. no luck, allergies worse than ever. Still, I'm committed to finding out what's causing these allergies. I don't understand the thing about needing to chill, maybe these persons don't have deadly or intense allergies.