Saturday, April 26, 2008

123 Book Meme

Cloudscome tagged me for this book meme, and I was honored as I love to go read her gorgeous poetry and book reviews on A Wrung Sponge. Here were the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.

Of course, she was reading an important book on race relations and I was reading YA fiction and sci-fi when she tagged me, but now that I have time to get to the computer I have a slightly better offering than my recent fluff. I am reading through Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth by the Boston Women's Health Collective to prepare for my work on a birth book I am writing.


Page 123, the fifth sentence and the three following:

"If you find out through diagnostic testing that your baby has a disability, deciding whether or not to terminate your pregnancy can be very difficult. Some women and families may believe that it is wrong to end a pregnancy, regardless of the potential problems a child may bring. Other women and families believe the decision depends on the particular condition involved and the family's circumstances. If you believe the decision depends on your situation, you will need to consider whether you think you and your child will have a life that you will both enjoy, despite the obstacles and limitations that a disability can impose."

Since I am not someone who could probably have an abortion, and since I have treasured many children with disabilities, that sounds cold to me, but I know it's complicated. I mostly like the book.

1 comment:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Hey I am reading some YA and middle grade fiction too. Nothing less important than that! Thanks for the kind words about my blog. I have a volume of Our Bodies Ourselves too. The last time I looked through it I was disappointed to find not much about menopause. I guess I need to look for the one that fits me now.