Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cookie Season!

Girl Scout Cookie sales started Friday. This is a rather hectic time of year for us, but I do understand the importance of it. Our local Paisano Girl Scout Council actually just dissolved, as finances required the Girl Scouts to do some consolidation. Now we are part of the Tip Of Texas Council with the Rio Grande Valley, which is pretty far away in terms of convenience, so cookie sales really do matter in terms of what the Girl Scouts can do...I guess we didn't do well enough before, though we sold a bunch. Taking orders really isn't bad...it's February when we have to deliver them and collect the money that things really get hectic. Most of the Lone Star Girl's sales have generally come from my City Hall colleagues, so we are kind of starting over this year. I got a good 60 orders at school on Friday, though, the first day of sales, so I am not worried.

The Girl Scouts have finally caved and added a sugar-free cookie this year, which I am a little disappointed about. We've been hassled to add one for years, but until now, the Girl Scouts held out because the cookies are made with all-natural ingredients, which you really can't do with a good sugar-free cookie that will sell. This year they added one with an artificial sweetener, though - bleh.

We are also collecting pennies for the Juliette Gordon Lowe Fund to help with Girl Scout activities around the world. World Thinking Day is in February and that is when the pennies all get turned in. Busy, busy!


7 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Boo hiss to artificial sweeteners!

I miss Samoas.

Lone Star Ma said...

We still sell Samoas...does your local Council not?

Triana said...

COOKIES!!!!

I have a serious thin mint problem. I buy like 8 boxes and put them in the freezer and keep them as my own little stash, hording and savoring each and every cookie like I won't get any more ever. But eventually I cave and they're all gone by probably August so I have to suffer to wait for the next round of sales.

Saints and Spinners said...

LSM-- I'm sure the local Council still sells Samoas... I just haven't eaten a Samoa in ages.

Brad the Gorilla said...

I want cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. I'll take 15 packages of everything you've gotten except for those shortbread cookies.

Lone Star Ma said...

Triana- Hi! Boy do I miss you! My computer will not access your blog now, so I can only read it at rare library trips when the baby is not with me. I freeze Girl Scout cookies for year-round use, too!

Alkelda- A little Samoa now and then is nothing to be afraid of...and they are as good as you remember. Girl Scouts will be selling cookies in your neighborhood soon, no doubt(:

Brad- Not a shortbread fan? You should try All-Abouts. They have been around for just a few years now and will change the way you think of shortbread cookies. They are like Trefoils on speed...a thin crispy wafer of shortbread with the back dipped in CHOC-O-LATE...

Veloute said...

I hate artificial sweeteners! :(

Hi, I'm Rachael and I have a thin mint addiction.

And what are these All-Abouts you speak of? I must investigate at the next opportunity. I usually don't make it past the thin mints.