Sunday, April 02, 2006

Quaker Research Question

I have had a question for years now about how two famous Quaker abolitionists in history were related to each other, but none of my internet searches or readings have brought me the answer. I am going to post about it here so that maybe one of you who either knows the answer already or who has superior research skills and would find the project diverting, can tell me and I can stop wondering. Levi Coffin was a famous Quaker abolitionist who is often referred to as the Conductor of the Underground Railroad due to his extensive work in helping people to escape from slavery. Lucretia Coffin Mott was a famous Quaker abolitionist and feminist who was present at the Seneca Falls Convention. It seems highly unlikely to me that they shared the same last name and the fact of being Quaker abolitionists but were not related in any way. So what was their relationship? Thanks!

No comments: