Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Gotta Love My Boss

At a staff retreat a few days ago, my boss clicked to a slide announcing our break entitled "Potty and Milk Break". I have to say...I felt honored. Pretty sure that milk break part was for me, and I thought it was pretty neat that she included it, the association with "potty" not withstanding.

I didn't tell my boss that I was pregnant with the Lone Star Baby until I was more than four months gone. I was worried. I remembered from the days before she was the boss that she had been critical of a colleague who took a long Family Leave and that she did not think work and kids should mix much back in the day. I think we've just grown on each other.

I've always been pretty clear that my kids come way first for me, and I try to do good work. She knows both of these things about me. She cares about her employees and wants to be a good boss...and so guess what? Our differences didn't really end up mattering that much. She is willing to respect what is important to me, so I naturally respect her a ton and try to do well for her. My boss...gotta love her.

No comments: