The rates of sexually transmitted infections among young adults make it abundantly clear that American parents are seriously falling down on the job when it comes to sex education. Also, we live in Texas, where schools are required to teach the highly ineffective "abstinence-based" version of sex education, so there is no one to take up the slack when parents flake out on this.
My kid's middle school fed the girls a horrifically shame-y curriculum called Heritage Keepers this year which taught them absolutely nothing about contraception and disease prevention except, you know, no.
Not good enough.
Knowledge is power, Mamas. Don't leave your kids with helplessness instead.
Useful, basic classics:
- It’s So Amazing: A Book About Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies and Families by Robie H. Harris
- It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex and Sexual Health by Robie H. Harris
- The Period Book: Everything You Don’t Want to Ask (But Need to Know) by Karen Gravelle
- What’s Going On Down There? Answers to Questions Boys Find Hard to Ask by Karen Gravelle
- The Care And Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls by Valorie Schaefer.