"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls."
This SDG has 9 associated targets:
- "Eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation
- Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation
- Recognize and value unpaid care and domestic work through the provision of public services, infrastructure and social protection policies and the promotion of shared responsibility within the household and the family as nationally appropriate
- Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decisionmaking in political, economic and public life
- Ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights as agreed in accordance with the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development and the Beijing Platform for Action and the outcome documents of their review conferences
- Undertake reforms to give women equal rights to economic resources, as well as access to ownership and control over land and other forms of property, financial services, inheritance and natural resources, in accordance with national laws
- Enhance the use of enabling technology, in particular information and communications technology, to promote the empowerment of women
- Adopt and strengthen sound policies and enforceable legislation for the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls at all levels."
What do you think of this goal and its associated targets?
What do you think you can do to help achieve this goal? Please post your ideas in the comments.
For me, I will continue to try to help girls grow up with courage, confidence and character through my involvement with the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
I will also work hard to defeat political candidates and policies that seek to limit women's reproductive rights and work hard to support political candidates and policies that seek to encourage and support women's participation in the workplace and public service.