Saturday, May 12, 2012

Religion And Child Abuse Redux For Mothers' Day Weekend

Probably, I should not wade into this.

Certainly, it is not really my affair.  But...really, I think when there is a force in one's community that is hurting - even killing - children....well, really it is the business of us all.

I just have to speak up about the appeal of Hannah Overton's case.

I have never met Ms. Overton or her immediate family that I recall, but I have, in the course of raising my children, met a good number of people in her family, one of whom I am really very fond of although I am probably about to upset her deeply - and I know some people in her church.  I know that there is an unhealthy belief among many people in that church, including some in Ms. Overton's family, that corporal punishment is a necessary thing in raising a Godly child.  This is a trend spread by the likes of Michael Pearl, Gary Ezzo and L. Elizabeth Krueger - supposedly Christian parenting experts, but, in my opionion, people who are neither Christian nor experts.

And I think that very religious subculture is why Andrew Burd died.

I was not there and cannot say for sure, of course, but I saw the video of Ms. Overton being interviewed by the police and I, who have had to interview plenty of abusive parents in my career in social services, feel that I know a liar when I see one in that context.  I believe she lied - the tells were there.  When one places her lying eyes next to her children's testimony that the spice mixture she claimed to give Andrew to satiate his strange appetites was used on them as a punishment, and next to the testimony of the former foster mother who denied that Andrew even had Pica issues, what happened seems pretty clear:  a horrible clicking together of puzzle pieces made up of lies and corporal punishment.

I do not believe that Ms. Overton meant to kill or even harm Andrew.  I believe she loved him and, out of love, wanted him to grow up to be a Godly child.  

Maybe that means that her capital murder charge was wrong.  I'm not a lawyer and do not know what intentions equal what charge under the law.  

I do, however, believe that Ms. Overton employed a means of corporal punishment on Andrew that resulted in the unintended consequence of his death.  I also believe that if your method of discipline kills your child, you are culpable, even if you meant him no harm at all, and I believe she meant him no harm.

I think you should not lie about it later, if you claim to be a Christian.  You should take responsibility.

I think that your so-called Christian congregation, instead of rallying behind your innocence, should think of the way they work to raise their children to be Godly.  

If it is through the violence of corporal punishment, think of the way you risk them.  Think also of the kindness of Christ to little children and do not hurt them anymore.  You can raise them in God's love without hitting, without poisoning.  

I think the reason I feel driven to speak about this is both because of the harm being done to children and the way God's Name is being taken in vain - both trouble me deeply.

Please do not hurt children in God's Name.  Please do not hurt them at all.

No comments: