Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day One: This Mother is Proud of Her Girl

On Saturday night, the Lone Star Girl attended a march-and-screening to raise awareness about the mission of the Invisible  Children.  She and her friend at school practically organized the march single-handedly, with the great support of their Spanish teacher and club sponsor. The Girl has been involved with Invisible Children since well before the KONY 2012 campaign and all of its hype. She has done a lot of research on the organization, waded through rumors and reports,  and is convinced, as am I after checking into it, that it is a responsible, transparent and well-intentioned organization. 

Personally, I still have some discomfort with the organization because I worry a lot about colonialism. I know, thanks to my daughter and her research, that the majority of Invisible Children's program planning and execution is done by Ugandans in Uganda.  I know that other much less scrutinized organizations, such as Lutheran Social Services, have been involved in much more colonialist, if also well-intentioned ways, such as bringing the "Lost Boys of Sudan" here to live. 

These are complicated issues, though, and we in the West have such a talent for ruining the lives of people in other countries - I still worry.  

My daughter also feels that colonialism is bad.  She understands my concern and point of view, but she has one, too - hers is that we are all citizens of the world and have a responsibility to help anyone whose human rights are being violated, no matter who we are or who they are. 

These are, once more, complicated issues.  I can't untangle my thoughts on them entirely and neither can she.  I doubt that anyone who truly cares really can at this point.

She is trying, though.  She is standing up for people where she can and always, always thinking and trying to help others.  

I am so proud of her.


No comments: