Friday, September 17, 2010

Interrogation Envy

Every day when I am reunited with them in the evening, I interrogate my children about their day.  I found out a long time ago that it was a mistake to believe they would volunteer the information I needed/wanted if not asked - although certainly they talk endlessly about the parts of their day that they want to talk about without being asked, being little girls and all.

I generally start with the Lone Star Girl's first class or activity of the day and then ask her about each one in order - to much eye-rolling, as you may imagine.  In the days of the children's house, I would usually allow the Lone Star Baby to just tell me what she wanted to tell me, but the interrogations have become mandatory for her, too, now.  I'm often too tired at this point in the day to relish starting the interrogations any more than they do, but it's my duty and has often proved important so I try not to skimp on it.  It usually becomes wonderful for me to hear about their doings once we get into it.

One day this week, I was particularly busy and tired and they seemed fine and on top of things, so I did not make the effort.  I was trying to get other things done.  Both girls immediately commenced following me around and interrupting each other and whining that they were trying to tell me about their day (in order, activity to activity) but"she keeps interrupting"  and "don't you want to hear about...?"

I think I've got them.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Nice work...you've got them trained! I usually hear "stupid" "nothing" "boring" etc., etc. when I ask how was your day/what did you do? and try to focus on other questions (who did you play with? What was your special? They seem to prefer answering questions when they can interrupt their brothers, rather than when being asked directly!

Danielle said...

I like this idea! I always ask, of course, and work on digging deeper. But I don't always push. I think I'll push a little harder today.

Saints and Spinners said...

Heh. I love it.

This summer, I found out from another mom that in kindergarten, my daughter liked to make angels out of toilet-paper when she was in the bathroom. I had no idea.