Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vacation Bible School

Youngest is attending Vacation Bible School at our next door neighbors' Methodist Church every evening this week.  They are super nice and the program is really fun for the kids.  I am not impressed with the theology of it, but I am not concerned either after the part I was concerned about last year was presented in such a confusing way that the kids did not notice it at all.  Last year they did Moses and this year they are basically doing the Acts of the Apostles - Peter and Paul, John, etc.  I am glad enough for her to get a quick swipe of this part of the Bible as I had decided not to follow up our parable (and seasonal life and death of Christ) lessons with the Paul stuff since Paul is really not my homeboy.  

I know it's not really fair to blame the Apostles for being still somewhat products of their time but it hurts me to see hate and bigotry seep into the teachings of the New Testament as it does in the parts that come after the Gospels. I have to appreciate the Apostles' evangelism somewhat (I guess) as I suppose we would never have heard about Jesus without it, but that's about as far as I can take it.   So it's anyways good to have someone else with less loaded feelings about the topic giving the Lone Star Baby a quick Mickey Mouse exposure to it before we move on.

At any rate, she's having lots of fun with all the crafts and games and songs.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh you are so much more open-minded than me! Your kids are lucky to have you for a mom!