Thursday, July 22, 2010

Linguistic Differences

The girls have been arguing about how to say "blue jeans" in Spanish.  The Lone Star Baby is truly bilingual, which none of the rest of us are.  Lone Star Pa has pretty much no Spanish to speak of, I have a minor in it from college back in the cretaceous period and the Lone Star Girl has taken a rather unimpressive Spanish class every year in school and then completed Spanish I in 8th grade this past year.

The story is this:  apparently the Lone Star Girl's ghetto Spanish book from last year uses "los jeans" for blue jeans, an obvious little bit of Spanglish there.  I believe we just said "pantalones azul" in my day and had done with it.  The Lone Star Baby is incensed at "los jeans".  Having been taught primarily by an obviously well off and well-educated family from Mexico who run her old school, she simply has different standards.  She would say "pantalones azul" herself and clearly thinks her sister is being a peasant.

Recently, the Lone Star Girl decided to look it up in Google Translator or some such new-fangled authority and it told them "pantalones vaqueros" (cowboy pants).  The Lone Star Baby found this quite humorous and feels she has been vindicated in believing that "los jeans" was inaccurate.

My kids are a riot.

4 comments:

gojirama said...

Awesome! GO LSB!
Hey, OT, but how do I set my blog posts to be shareable?

Lone Star Ma said...

It gave me a prompt yesterday or today, asking me if I wanted to. They may have it under design.

Andrea said...

They are. Mine just argue about the armrests in the back seat of the car and who gets to wear the black hat with fire on it.

Lone Star Ma said...

I don't know about armrests but a black hat with fire on it does sound battle-worthy.