Sunday, May 09, 2010

First Day School: Anabaptists and The Great Pearl

Today the Lone Star Girl's "class" finished reading about the Mennonites, Amish and Brethren and the Lone Star Baby's lesson was the parable of the Great Pearl.  

We are almost finished with the parables in the Lone Star Baby's "class".  By June, we will start on Old Testament work but only some of the Old Testament stories in the Godly Play materials look suitable for adaptation to me - lots are just too violent.  There is a whole other book of Old Testament enrichment lessons about actual people that are much more suitable, but I would have to make a lot of materials.  I am thinking about just working with the few that I like that already have materials and then turning to the testimonies and some work utilizing elements of the Faith 'N' Play materials developed by Quakers for next year, which is what I had planned for after we finished working from the Old Testament, and saving the other Old Testament work for a little over a year from now but I haven't really decided yet.

I could totally make this a full time endeavor if I had the time to do so.  I wish I did.

3 comments:

naturalmom said...

Huh. I've seen your comments on friends' blogs (more than one friend, I think) but didn't realize you are Quaker. (Me too.) Or maybe I used to know and forgot. I finally got around to visiting your blog... :o)

Anyhoo, have you had the Faith and Play training? Our Meeting is trying to coordinate training some time soon. I'm interested, but I'm a little taken aback by the time commitment -- a whole weekend. If you did the training, what are your thoughts about that? How valuable was it, and do you think it could have applications for a homeschooling family, in addition to teaching FDS? My older kids are nearly 8 and 10 -- perhaps a little old for F & P, but I still have a toddler coming up.

Stephanie

Lone Star Ma said...

Hi!

I don't have the training but I have the book with the patterns and I'm going to use it. It is an outgrowth of the Godly Play materials I'm using, adapted by Quakers, which (Godly Play) itself is an outgrowth of the Catholic Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, which itself is an outgrowth of the Montessori Method ... etc. I can't say I teach GP or F&P (or Montessori for that matter) without the training but I am using the materials in lessons "in the style of ...". The chances of me getting to any kind of training in these parts are slim to none but I've been a Montessori Mom for years and am a teacher, so I'm happy with my ability to make do. I love the hands-on Montessori aspect of the materials and also what I would call the "wonder orientation" of the lessons, which certainly seem applicable to home-schooling or any kind of schooling. It really facilitates this sort of silent worship in the children as they do their "work" after the lessons and think about the lessons and the work and there seems to me to be something very much like being led to speak in Meeting about the way my little one is led to interpret/use the materials.

naturalmom said...

Thank you. Our meeting has used the Godly Play materials some, and it was popular with the kids. We want to start using the Faith and Play, but are being made to jump through the hoops... :o\