Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goals For The New Year

The only ones of my resolutions that I really was successful at this year was keeping up with Lone Star Baby centric activities and getting my students to memorize stuff - not the stuff I really needed the most work on, in the big picture.  We did pretty well on focusing on more Lone Star Girl centric stuff in fits and starts but the summer's appendectomy kind of got in the way.  I'm rather discouraged at how things always seem to get away from me - always - but I feel like I should keep setting goals anyway.  So here goes:

Family/Home: 

              1.)  2010 will be a big year for the girls.  Both will start new schools in the fall and we don't as yet know what school either will go to, as there are tests and application processes to be gotten through and such.  Goal number one is to therefore get the Lone Star Baby settled successfully into her new school for first grade and the Lone Star Girl settled successfully into high school!  2.)  Continue carving out enough time for the girl's activities  and social lives, including guiding the Lone Star Girl's Girl Scout troop successfully through the completion of their Silver Awards.  3.)  Have more fun with the husband - this never seems to make it to the top of the list, but it needs to.  4. More organizing this summer - like getting to one more room, which I didn't do this year.

Health and Fitness:


           1.)  Since I didn't lose any weight this past year, I need to lose more this year:  26 pounds at least! 2.) Spend more time with friends - this one is for mental health.  Most of my closest support system picked up and moved out of state at summer's close, so I need to  work on that.

Work:


       I'm going to have to stick with the serenity thing.  There are other things, of course, but none of them are as important as that. 



Writing:


         I had set myself a more recent goal of finishing a first draft of my Baby Moon book by the new year and I came very close but I'm not going to make it.  All of the essays are written but my resources chapter still needs work and I haven't started the introduction chapter yet.  I will finish it before January's up, though, so my first writing goal is:  1.)  Revise Baby Moon and get  proposals out on it  (after seriously celebrating getting the first draft done).  2.)  Get poetry or articles or essays accepted for publication in 3 new markets.  3.)  (for summer and after) Finish first draft of poetry book.




I am reminded that a really good thing we did do this year is work hard to fight Las Brisas so that our children and the children of this community can remain well.  We  wrote articles and letters and e-mails and passed out information and held demonstrations.  Not too shabby.  Things are changing, but that fight will continue for awhile, in one form or another.  Sometimes we have to put aside goals we planned for more important goals that come up, and I guess that isn't bad.  We did what we needed to do this year and that is what counts.










8 comments:

Andrea said...

Woo-hoo! Congratulations on a good 2009, almost finishing your book and keeping up the good fight for clean air! I think you did very well indeed and that's an impressive list of to-do's for next year. Good luck and godspeed. Happy New Year to you my bloggy friend!

Lone Star Ma said...

Thanks! And to you!

Saints and Spinners said...

You inspire me, LSM. I'm hoping that a visit SOMEHOW in the future will help with the "spend more time with friends" goal.

Happy new year!

Lone Star Ma said...

That would be great! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

High School?!?! No way! I agree with you that I always feel like my goals get lost in the shuffle, but I have to keep making them so I can try and keep focused on my priorities anyway. Good luck to you in the New Year!

gojirama said...

High school?!!
Congrats on all the work fighting Las Brisas. if it got in the way of any of your other goals for last year, remember that you fought a good fight that you didn't expect to need to fight.

Veloute said...

I want to say something intelligent here, but all I can say is...high school?!

Happy new year!

Lone Star Ma said...

Yeah...I feel the same way...