Wednesday, July 11, 2007

First Swimming Lesson!

Yesterday was the Lone Star Baby's first swimming lesson at Collier Pool!

Ever since I signed her up for them last week, she has been periodically crying that she did not want to have swim lessons, so I wasn't sure how it would go. We took her to the pool to play on Sunday to make sure she was used to the water and she had great fun. It is going with a teacher she doesn't know that scares her, not so much the water. Even after Sunday, she kept having little fussing spells at home every time she remembered about the upcoming lessons, though,so I was concerned that it would not work out. I had seen the terrified little ones who screamed through a thirty minute lesson for years and knew we were not going to do that.

On the day of the lesson, she cried all morning as we got ready at home and ran away and hid from me at one point. It did not bode well. I kept telling her that we were just going to try it and see, and reminding her of other fun things she'd been scared to do at first, and I kept wondering how much fussing I should let her do before I called it quits. When we got to the pool, she calmly joined her swim teacher and the other kids, three of whom were older than she was and crying. She did not cling to me for a second and happily did everything the swim instructor asked her to do, beaming with pride. Go figure.

Now she is all about swim lessons and spent the rest of the day telling everyone she saw "I did have my first swim lesson today!"

No comments: