Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Toddler Puzzle Genius

Early on in this school year, the Lone Star Baby's teacher told me that my young two-year-old had mastered inset puzzles and was beginning to work on composition puzzles in case I wanted to support that work at home. My take on composition puzzles, the kind that make up pictures, was that they seemed mighty hard for such a young child and that it was probably just those nutty Montessorians with their no-fantasy-until-six-start-doing-composition-puzzles-at-two ways, but I dutifully bought the simplest-looking composition puzzle I could find, a wooden dinosaurs-at-the-water tableau with 24 pieces, and presented it to the Lone Star Baby. She was quite interested and has ever since enjoyed working the puzzle with the help of a parent or her sibling, gradually needing ever less help over time.

Recently, I learned that the composition puzzles they do at school have only 9 pieces. Oh. Last night, though, the Lone Star Baby, a bit more than a month shy of three, put the whole 24-piece puzzle together herself without even a verbal hint from any of us older folks. We, silly enamored folks that we are, actually clapped and she was so proud of herself she had to hide her face while she squealed. Then she told us that one dinosaur was worried that the blue dinosaur was going to eat his water. I'm proud of that little puzzle girl!

2 comments:

Veloute said...

She is brilliant and empathetic!

I'm thinking either great scientist or world leader. No, both.

Lone Star Ma said...

If she doesn't become a world dictator, I'll have done my job. Her sister is already asking her if she can have certain choice pieces of real estate (Italy...) when her regime takes over. Some days I think we'll need mood stabilizers before kindergarten...