Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mermaid

On Sunday afternoon, I took the Lone Star Girl to see the movie Aquamarine, which was supposed to be based on the children's book by the same name by Alice Hoffman. I love Alice Hoffman's YA books and the Lone Star Girl had read and enjoyed Aquamarine as well, so we were pretty excited. In fact, the only real resemblances between the book and the movie turned out to be that they both involved a mermaid, a storm, a boy and a best friend who did not want to move. Otherwise, it was just a silly tween movie, but the Lone Star Girl enjoyed it and I enjoyed having some one on one time with her.

More and more, such mother-preteen outings seem crucial and I know I will need to start making time for more of them. She is a mermaid herself, a creature of transformation, mysterious and changeable. Everyday it is harder for her to know who or what she is...legs or fin? Child or woman? We never really know.


2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

I am reminded of the John Sayles film "Limbo" (which was a commercial flop, but I thought was quite good). The idea of the mermaid figures subtly in the girl's psyche. She writes about mermaids, has "cut" herself as if she had gills, and... well, perhaps "limbo" is the state of a mermaid in some sense.

I reviewed Hoffman's book Indigo, which I hesitate to link, because I didn't enjoy the stories as you did, but there are indeed some lovely images.

Lone Star Ma said...

That does sound interesting.

I read your review long ago, before finding S&S, and was surprised you did not like the book. I like to be drenched in her archetypes(: