Friday, February 10, 2006

Lone Star Facts on Fridays

State Nickname: Lone Star State

Now, when I was a Texas schoolchild, we were taught that Texas was the Lone Star State, the only state with a right to a star in its state flag, because it was the only state that had been a country before becoming a state. We felt smug about this. As I have grown older, though, I have become confused about this teaching...what about Hawaii? Hawaii was a country before it became a state, too. And yes, gentle readers, Hawaii was already a state by the time I was a schoolchild. So I don't get it.

3 comments:

Triana said...

Ah, but could Hawaii be its own country again? We can do that still, right? I think that's where some of the smugness comes from too. We can pack up our toys and go home (not that it would necessarily be a good idea).

Lone Star Ma said...

What do you mean? Is that in our charter or something? Somehow I remember reading about this war when our state and some others tried to secede...(and secession was not a good idea, as it turned out)

Lone Star Ma said...

And Lone Star Pa tells me that Alaska has a star or stars in its flag...what kind of crack were my social studies teachers smoking anyway?