Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Small Helping

I was finally able to help a little more. I served lunch at one of the shelters our city has set up for the evacuees yesterday and worked a few hours there. Today I delivered school supplies from our center to several of the schools that evacuees started attending this morning and then spent the rest of the day at the shelter inventorying supplies. I counted, shelved and listed hundreds of jars of baby food and cans of baby formula, diapers, canned goods, etc. I also gave a sling to a woman with a baby and several more young children and showed her how to use it so she could have her hands free while carting the baby around...I felt good about that. It was so good to be there, helping in some small way. It is hard for me to do so little when I know that others are there around the clock. I am aware, and my body reminds me when I forget, that a nursing mother cannot do everything. The restrictions on my time and energy are little understood by others, though, so they are sometimes hard to feel good about myself.

2 comments:

gojirama said...

You are an angel- bless you. Can I send you anything for the refugees? Thank you, thank you for being there.

Lone Star Ma said...

I am really doing next to nothing, goji. I have staff from my own center who work 24 hours out of every 48 there and the other city staff do so as well. And the volunteers! You should see them! The whole city has really turned out to help. Right now there are plenty of supplies but thank you for offering. I don't know how long the bounty will last.