Saturday, October 12, 2013

Seasons Gone

Our fall decorations are mostly up and feel very nice.  We have the autumn wreath on the door, and garden flags and big wooden pumpkin cut-outs in the front yard, recently joined by pumpkins from the pumpkin patch.  Inside, we have the nature table all full of autumn decorations and the Lone Star Baby set out all of the fall-themed decorations that she and her sister have made over the years after I dug them out of the "fall box" in the garage.  It's cozy and full of family, and I love it.

This fall is also the beginning of the lasts, though.  Last things with my Lone Star Girl at home with us.

We had the last first day of school with the last plaid dress.  Although she will always be welcome, this may well be the very last autumn that the Lone Star Girl lives under my roof.  I turned 42 in late September and was aware that it might be the last birthday of mine she would spend with me, and we are coming up on Halloween, which may be the last of her birthdays that she is home for a long while at least.  

Thursday evening, we made a late run to the pumpkin patch.  I gave the girls a budget and sent them off to decide what to get.  I watched them conferring, showing each other different pumpkins, moving through the sea of orange together like so many times before...but maybe the last time that I will see them do that together.

I love that Girl so much.  I am excited about her future and all the things she will do...she has been accepted by two colleges already and gets more information in the mail each day on all the scholarships and applications she is daily working on....I am so proud of the woman she is becoming.  I still don't want this to end, though, having her here.  I do, really, for her...but I will miss her so much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, we are not alone on this journey are we? I have a junior and senior right now, and sometimes, just watching the two of them do pre-cal together makes me cry. It will be so different, next year. T
Thanks for sharing.

Lone Star Ma said...

Thank you! We should keep in touch!