Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fall Gardens

My birthday was in late September and I celebrated by making the family take me to get plants.  I had considered some grandiose schemes to build raised beds using cinder blocks, but cinder blocks were too expensive so I am back to gardening in pots and kiddie pools, along with a couple of stacks of used tires.

I planted one kiddie pool with zucchini, mustard greens, marigolds and kale.  I planted the other with a salad garden of lettuces and nasturtium, marigolds and salad burnet. I have a ghost pepper plant and a chile pequin in pots, along with pots of basil, dill, chives and parsley.  I have a big tomato plant in one pile of tires and a big citronella geranium in another.  I have marigolds and Mothers of Thousands scattered about liberally and I planted sweet peas in just about every pot that had space.  I have a pencil cactus.  The baby fruit trees and the aloe and the gardenias always remain.  There is chocolate mint and begonias (for love) in the hanging garden.

I'm pretty happy with it all.

No comments: